View Single Post
Unread 03-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
RockinWR
User

P.J./RGG,
* In keeping with No�«l's input on impulse energy, I find a fast burning powder like Bullseye ideal for Luger cycling.
* I think Randall had better results with Red Dot as it is a fast burning powder as well.
* Unique is a medium burning powder and, consequently, doesn't provide as much impulse energy as does the fast burners.
* As well, I find excellent accuracy w/ Bullseye in the Lugers I've fired. Nada cycling problems except for a rare stovepipe every once in a while or an occasional toggle not locking back on the last round toward the end of a session. So, I guess I'm lucky so far or a good clean P.08 minimally oiled at the right spots has got me by.
* I load target loads... a couple of tenths of a grain under loading manual max recommended. I find Unique & a 124 gr bullet more accurate in a P.38. I guess the longer P.38 barrel & heavier slug gives a medium burning rate powder more chance to completely combust. The 4 in. Luger barrel likes the fast powder & a 115gr fmj for much the same reason..complete combustion in a shorter barrel span. Nominal OAL, mixed brass, CCI primers, nothing real special. I do weigh each reload for consistency & will weigh bullets if I'm going for a tight group.
* FWIW. Each pistol is a hoss unto itself. Part of the fun is to work up to an ideal load for each, trying various component combinations. Gives just one more reason to be down @ the range popping caps!!
Respectfully,
Bob
RockinWR is offline   Reply With Quote