View Single Post
Unread 02-13-2001, 11:20 AM   #14
Mavin

Default Re: Just some clarification

I am a collector of Lugers, but I also have a couple of the import marked Lugers which I purchased a couple of years ago. One of them is an all matching "G" date which was dip blued as normal for the recent imports. This pistol has been reworked by Ted back to original condition. It is stunning and looks as if it just came from the factory. I don't pretend that it is all original and I have never seen an original without any small blemishes to differentiate from a rework and an original. Ted is currently working on my second import; a Double Date Luger and will have it back into original condition soon. These Lugers were "dinked" with by the Russians or whoever and don't have the "original" appearance. The reworking of these pistols will not harm the current value and may add a little to them, but they are still reworks and will remain as such. These pistols still have a history to them that cannot be disputed and if they could talk would have a much better story than the real "collector" Lugers we have. This is the reason I do like the recent imports and they have a place in any collection and as a shooter also.

My "collector" pistols cost much more than the imports, but they are not anymore important from a historical aspect that the import marked pistols. There are many differening opinions about these pistols and I feel we should respect each others opnions. I rarely shoot my Lugers, but I would shoot the most expensive one I have if I wanted to. I would treat it very well and not shoot it a lot to maintain it's value. The reworked Lugers can be shot, taken care of, enjoyed and the value will not be hurt that much. I also feel that the value of the imports will continue to climb, but will never reach the value of the non imports, but again, they historically are just as important. This is just my feelings and I like them all except the obvious fakes!

Marvin