View Single Post
Unread 06-24-2002, 09:46 AM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by unspellable:
<strong>
Before you shoot it check the condition of the corners on the locking lugs. They tend to get rounded off with a lot of milage and need to be squared up again. I've had at least one with a weak recoil spring too, but I don't now of any quick and easy way to tell you how to check it.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Others on this forum, with perhaps more authority than I, will recommend that you have the guns thoroughly checked by a competent gunsmith who knows Broomhandles to make sure they are safe to shoot. Of particular concern is the bolt-stop lug and the condition of the barrel extension rails. Failure of the bolt stop can lead to the bolt being completely ejected from the gun, with potentially fatal consequences.

Some shooters here simply replace the bolt stop with one of modern manufacture when they go shooting. I expect that one of them will likely step in here and tell you where they can be obtained.

30 years ago I had a friend who had a Broomhandle, I think it was a Bolo, and we took it out to shoot a couple of times. I recall it being a lot of fun, wish I had one now.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote