View Single Post
Unread 08-07-2002, 12:30 AM   #1

Post Wow! Overpressure Russian Ammo!

Lugercollector and others! I'm also posting this in the Corrosive Ammo discussion.

WOW!!! IT HAPPENED TO ME TODAY. As I remember, there was an overpressure Russian ammo case discussed on the old forum and now I have my own.

I had bought some Wolff and Silver Bear ammo before reading of the overpressure case back about April or May. Anyway, I've been shooting this stuff up in my S&W 3914 since I didn't want to risk it in my Luger.

After about 30 uneventful rounds shooting the Silver Bear ammo the S&W locked up tight after firing without ejecting the case. I didn't notice a particularly loud round, but anyway I had a hard time clearing the gun. I had to pound a rod into the barrel (that was a loose fit in an empty case) while pulling hard on the slide. Finally, the case came out. The fired case was not ruptured, but would not go back into the chamber. It is much bigger in diameter than a normal fired case (maybe .007 to .010"), I don't have a micrometer handy at the moment.

WATCH OUT FOR PROBLEMS WITH RUSSIAN AMMO. My S&W doesn't seem to be damaged--the barrel looks OK under close examination after disassembly and cleaning. I'll test it out probably in a week or so with Walmart Winchester and then maybe some Federal hollowpoints.