View Single Post
Unread 09-07-2002, 09:30 PM   #6
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,618 Times in 527 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Roadkill:
<strong>Once again guys, I'm just following directions:
" The next step, seldom mentioned in reloading books and articles, is very important: lubricating the inside of the case neck. This prevents the case from dragging in the die when the neck is expanded after sizing. Equally important, lubricating the inside of the case neck removes the gritty primer and burned powder residue."
RCBS Loading Guide. Fourth Edition, 1976
RK</strong><hr></blockquote>

RK, the directions above are for a bottleneck case where the sizing die reduces the neck diameter to less than the proper size for reloading. On the up stroke of the handle, the case is lowered and the sizing button on the depriming shaft passes through the neck, enlarging the inside diameter as it does so.

If you'll note on your pistol dies, absolutely nothing touches the inside of the case mouth during the sizing/depriming stage or when the case is lowered back down.

I don't have the RCBS reloading manual. The closest thing to it that I own is a Speer manual, 1979 edition. (RCBS and Speer are all owned by the same parent company, Blount.) It says the same thing as your manual almost verbatum... in the rifle reloading section. Further back in the manual is the handgun cartridge reloading information. Inside case lubrication isn't mentioned at all for pistol cases. Check and see if your manual has a separate section for handgun reloading.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote