View Single Post
Unread 05-18-2004, 04:42 AM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Post Shooting with the Ideal Stock/Holster

Some of you may remember this rig, profiled last August.

Now, this 1900 American Eagle Luger is a shooting gun--no original blue, buffed & otherwise worked, barrel shot nearly smooth--and the Ideal holster/stock is in equally ratty shape. Considering the small liklihood of devaluing the rig further, I decided that it was about time to find out how the combination shoots.

I shoot the Luger occasionally, the worn-out rifling gives groups just about like a shotgun pattern. Nonetheeless, its fun to take to the range just to do it, and show off a bit. Using it with the Ideal stock is an entirely different experience.

The Ideal stock looks very light and 'spidery'. Once hooked into its special grips and extended, however, it is very stable, there is nothing about it that feels flimsy or delicate (except, perhaps, the leather pouch).

The stock itself is very short. It is not uncomfortable, and the sight picture is unexpectedly good. I was astonished that the first magazine I put through it grouped almost as tightly as my stocked 1917 LP-08 at 30 feet. Not much of a test, perhaps, my being a pretty mediocre shot, but belying the suppposed inaccuracy of the barrel and putting the poor pistol grouping squarely on my own abilities. So much for ego.

Other parts of the experience were not so pleasant. The configuation of the stock attachment makes it awkward and uncomfortable to hold in the grip safety. The stock length puts one shockingly close to the substantial muzzle flash. Also, the indoor range I shoot at has a partitioned firing line, and the stock length brings the muzzle back into the partitioned area and makes the report uncomfortably loud, even with ear protection.

Into the second magazine I was developing a pretty good flinch from the flash and report, so when I looked at the resultant poor grouping I decided that it was a good experiment but time to hang it up. I do want to shoot it outside sometime to explore the difference.

It should be noted for the record that the Ideal holster/stock is legal to attach to an original American Eagle Luger, according to BATF regulations.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote