View Single Post
Unread 08-23-2002, 02:40 AM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Jerry, Silvano is right. The 1st issue unaltered has the safety in the 'down' position. The 1st issue altered has the safety in the 'up' position. And the second issue has the safety on the 'up' position. The 1st issue altered is easy to spot because the 'GESICHERT' that was in the down position was ground off and was left in the white. It was not done very professionally either. The second issue has no ground off marking. This is why a 1906 navy should never be restored. There is a bit of history on this particular model. Then there is the 1906 commercial navy. But that is another story.

I don't mean to sound like I am hammering this gentleman. He may actually have two or three navy treasures. But when he shows two 1917's on his website but only advertizes one. I get a little cautious. Then AuctionArms shows he had only one previous sale. But there is no history shown on that sale. A long time ago someone on this forum shocked me when he said that we should ask if the gun pictured is the gun being sold. I think that this bit of wisdom would be appropriate here. Especially since the serial numbers were not shown in the auctions pictures. But there are other questions to be asked and answered to help determine value and the gentleman has not reponded to my questions yet.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote