View Single Post
Unread 05-22-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

Hi Ronnie,

I don't like being the bearer of bad tidings, but I would have serious reservations about the authenticity of the markings on your pistol.

Generally speaking (there are a few exceptions, *very* few) N property numbers are on the rear grip strap...and it is a pronounced capital N, boldly struck, with the property number beneath it. I have seen a few that had a 2 digit property number adjacent to the N (Which stands for Nordsee Flotte, or the North (Baltic) Sea fleet. This tells you the gun was issued from the Naval Depot at Willemshaven.

But back to the markings. They are not of the right size or composition to be correct, in my opinion. And the Eagle M is unlike any authentic one I have ever encountered. The marking of grip straps with the eagle M stopped during the G-date production, so having the mark on a 1939 piece is out of the ordinary. The composition of the stamp looks like no Eagle M I have seen on a navy Luger.
I suspect someone who wasn't z'ackly sure of what he was doing tried to elevate the value of an otherwise nice 1939 Luger.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote