View Single Post
Unread 08-12-2002, 11:03 PM   #5
Herb
User

Jerry, the codes you mention are the German wartime codes used to hide the manufactures designation so that our, allies, wouldn't try to bomb the factories of known producers. You are willing to pay more than I for a 'shooter' than I am, my limit is around $600 for one in really great condition. Be careful with that 'Black Widow' I have seen many, many ads for black widow grips lately that make me wonder where the Lugers went that had them on them. In my opinion the Luger is a very accurate pistol. The sights were originally made to be on target at 50 meters, most people shoot at 25 meter targets and will get hits that are too high, giving them the impression that it is not accurate, not so, just too close. Remember that these are weapons produced for combat, not everyday plinking, so they will not be as accurate as a modern pistol with micro-grooved rifleing. You are correct, the Lugar was replaced due to the complexity of manufacturing and the cost involved verses the P38. I have found them to be very accurate at extreme ranges, 200 yards or more.