View Single Post
Unread 07-27-2002, 02:20 PM   #17
Kyrie
User

[quote]Originally posted by M38:
<strong>I just got my first Luger last night, a 1918 Erfurt shooter and I love it, but the sights stink. Does anybody know what the history is behind the v rear sight and inverted v front sight? The same opticaly chalenging sight system is used on the Russian 1891 Mosin Nagant and Mauser K98 rifles which makes me think that there must be some theory behind the concept.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Folks!

The sights on a Luger, like those on a Model 1898 Mauser, are designed for very precise work at ranges that today are be considered insanely long. The very fine front sight occludes very little of the target, while the point presents a very precise indicator of the point of impact. Given the military doctrine of the time (which was slow, accurate, aimed fire) these sights were perfect.

In my younger years I had no difficulty hitting soda cans out well past 100 yards with a Luger, or one gallon paint cans out past 500 yards with a M98 rifle.

They are not, however, perfect for the aging eyes of many (including myself) forum members. Our older eyes have lost the youthful flexibility needed to take advantage of these wonderful sights. Many of us are at that point in our lives where even the big, blocky, sights popular today are becoming hard to see, or use :-(

IĆ¢??m at that point in my life that I just put the black blur that are the sights on the black blur that is the target, squeeze, and hope for the best :-)

Warm regards,

Kyrie
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote