View Single Post
Unread 07-28-2003, 04:02 AM   #8
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Panda,

Based on my experience with importing firearms in to the US, any model pistol which is made before 1898 can be imported without a ATF Form 6. Therefore, any Luger made between 1900-1906 is NOT considered an antique and requires an import permit. The classification of a firearm is based on its actual model designation such as a M1898, M1900, M1902, M1906 etc.

According to US Customs regulations, any gun which is more than 100 years old is considered an antique and is exempt from the 10% import duties only, but in a few cases, an ATF Form 6 is still required. For example, if you wish to import a 1902 Swiss Luger in to the US, a FFL holder would need to submit three ATF Form 6 to the BATF in Washington D.C., however, you will not need to pay the 10% import duties.

You should also bear in mind that a FFL holder can only import COMMERCIAL firearms. If the firearm is military, it can only be imported by a LICENSED IMPORTER and it usually has to be stamped with the importer's markings. For example, a M1906 Swiss Military has to imported by a licensed importer.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. If you would like to understand this area a little better, please feel free to contact me.

Good luck,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote