View Single Post
Unread 07-20-2002, 10:00 AM   #6
Marvin
User

Roadkill,

This is sort of my opinion that the commarcial pistols that were being made during the Weimar period were being made with the use of them going to a Military/Police roll for the government. Since yours has the 1920 date, it could be the Military property stamp, but I don't think so; I think it may be the date stamp.

If the pistol was still in stock when need by the Government, the commercial would have been purchased from DWM since they could not legally manufacture military pistols. This would have been a very nice clandestined source of pistols.

Since yours does not have any Police Stamps, I would guess that it was in stock somewhere in the late 1930s and then purchased/pulled from stock for the Police in the early 1930s and then the ruling to add the Sear Safety.

As to the Sear Safety being removed from a Police pistol that went to Military duty is true as the Military did not use/like the safety. In reverse, if a Military pistol was routed back to the Police during this time, it would have Military stamps and have the Sear Safety.

This is what is so interesting about the Weimar Lugers, there are very few hard and fast rules. Most anything could have happened during those times. I have always wondered, that since the Police could purchase the pistols required, and not as closely monitored as the Military, if the POlie purchased pistols and them routed them to the Military???? The Weimars are the most difficult to understand. I read and re-read "Weimar Lugers" and get new information each time. If you have a couple of these pistols, get the book as it will help a lot and also open up more questions.

Edmond is correct that if he can find the info from Gunsworld, it would be a big help. The Weimars are just plain interesting and priced right for the new collector to start with if interested in the=is time. It covers Lugers from pre-WWI until approx. 1935 when actual large scale production from Mauser began. I wish I had the answers, but with help from other Forum members, maybe we can piece together some of the puzzle.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote