Thread: Luger values
View Single Post
Unread 11-22-2002, 02:41 PM   #6
Stu
User

Don't get me wrong; I've nothing against import pistols. I understand how it may affect the value of a "collector" grade gun, significantly to some, but in my realm it's not an issue.

I prefer the markings to be discrete, but what I'm looking at is the originality and condition of the weapon notwithstanding the actual surface finish. That's how I assess the value to me. Look what Thor can do with a pistol with good metalwork !

I've 2 import marked guns, (and a 3rd I'm pretty sure is a re-work). All are nice condition, matching, (with one exception of two minor parts), representative guns. In fact I'm glad they are what they are; if they hadn't been dipped I could never have afforded them ! I do believe that these kind of guns are both a good introduction for the novice and unlikely to devalue.

My mention of the one at the auction was to illustrate purely that a gun I find unattractive, (the general condition is pretty average at best), is fetching way more than the average estimate for a shooter.

I'd also agree with Edward; these things are part of the gun's history. I'd bet money that should the Russians or East Germans have issued their reworks for combat use, people would have a different attitude to them today [img]wink.gif[/img]
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote