View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2001, 08:22 AM   #6
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Rear Connecting Pin

Hi Bill,

Most interesting information - and most appreciated!

OTOH, over the years I've seen some exceptions to the rule that original issue Imperial Lugers did not have the rear connecting pin numbered. One exception that comes immediately to mind is a fully provenanced DWM Imperial, 1917 dated, four inch standard military Luger. This specific piece had been issued to career German officer during the Great War, and brought by him to this country when he immigrated here with his family in the early 1920's (1923 if memory serves). The pistol was traceable from that point in time by the specific mention in the last will and testaments of family members as the pistol passed down through generations. I was privileged to examine the pistol and copies of the wills, and this pistol had a numbered rear connecting pin.

As an aside the wills made very interesting reading in and of themselves, and provided windows into the souls of the individuals who executed them. When the original owner bequeathed it to his son, he wrote of his love for his son, his knowledge that his son valued the pistol as a link to the family's long history of military service, and noted that he (the father) had never fired the pistol and hoped his son would do likewise. Subsequent wills contained not only the same bequest, but the same wording regarding use.

At the time I had the privilege of examining the pistol its owner was a retired Colonel of the U. S. Marines, as the family tradition of military service continued.

I'm sorry - I'm getting off track here. Obviously contact with the people involved here has left a lasting impression on me [embarrassed smile]. The point I'd started out to make before my train of thought derailed is there do exist Imperial Lugers with original and numbered rear connecting pins.

Best regards,

Kyrie