View Single Post
Unread 10-24-2002, 10:16 AM   #10
John -Melb
User

In response to Stu and Lugerdoc
Going on our last "buy-back" in 96-7 the answer will be no way! Some top of the line IPSC "race-guns" might get out, but I'm afraid the vast majority will be destroyed. At that buyback(that's Howard-speak for "I'm taking your guns an there's nothing you can do about it" or in other words legislated theft). A gun had to have a buy-back price of more than AU$3,000 before it could be exported. You had to sent the gun to a overseas dealer for sale on consignment and if the gun had not sold within a certain time it had to be returned to Aus for destruction!
Please note I do not refer to the guns true value, but what the Aus Government decided they were prepared to pay for it. For example in early 96, prior to the Port Arthur shootings, a Valmet "Hunter" .308 self loader would cost your about AU$2,500 to 3,200, buy-back price was AU$900!
I don't think any legally owned Luger, or any other classic pistol will get out! This decison will mean the destruction of literally thousands of Lugers, C96 Mausers, Webleys, Colts, you name it, were probably looking at 100,000+ individual firearms.
Don't just fear a government that wants your guns, hate them with a passion!
John -Melb is offline   Reply With Quote