View Single Post
Unread 02-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #8
Morris Gardner
User

I beleive that I have discovered the best alternative to the frustration of dealing with the repro grip conundrum: I just don't waste my money on them! Take the $25 or so that you might pay for garbage, add $15 or so... and then, do as I do.

Send your OLD GRIPS TO HUGH CLARK to be refurbished. He gets $40 (return postage included). In the long run it is a much more satisfactory, hassle-free and inexpensive solution, for even expensive Nil grips usually require varying amounts of cobbling in order to achieve proper fit...and then, the more discerning aficianado may still wish to reprofile them and re-do the checkering to get them to look and feel like they should. $100 (most recent euro/dollar adjusted price) is certainly a lot of money to pay under these circumstances, and if you end up sending them to someone like Hugh, that's only the beginning.

In my experience (a dozen or so pair of grips either refurbished or customized with borders, etc...even made me a pair of grips for my Baby Luger project) Hugh will authentically refurbish your old grip panels to their original factory splendor (or better) and get them back to you in a reasonable period of time, post-paid (included in the price).

I have sent him several pair of disgusting, stained, icky-sticky,up to 80 to 90 year old grip panels with gouges,dents,corners broken off in the usual locations....even grips with most of the checkering worn flat. Hugh seems to have a magic wand that he waives over these turkeys, invariably resulting in the return of a pair of grips analagous to the proverbial silk purse form a sow's ear.them to me in a state that can best be described as exemplary of something analagous to the proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear. What one gets back is virtually a new pair of ORIGINAL FACTORY grips... authentic color, contour, checkering and, of course, FIT. Somehow he manages this while at the same time leaving just the right amount of patina. They are better than new ones could possibly be, even if they were available.

You just can't match this deal with respect to the quality of the final product and lack of hassle. Last, but certainly not least, the price is very attractive relative to the cost of new replacements from any other source... bad, good or indifferent. Of course, there is one hitch...one must first have a pair of original "factory" grips to restore. If not, they are available out in the cold, cruel world...generally priced according to condition, which is not critical in this instance (within reason).
Morris Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote