View Single Post
Unread 09-03-2002, 02:50 PM   #10
Roadkill
User

John, Jerry
Send me a home mailing address offline. Got a few more minutes now, I've got a breadbag with strap I picked up somewhere. Maybe I can find it. Will look later. German bread is baked in round/eliptical (nearly round, Ed) loaves with a thick overall crust. They average about 2-2 1/2 lbs. A standard German WWI/II field ration was thick sliced bread and butter or meat paste which came in tubes. The bread was thickly sliced and is quite substantial. Field kitchens baked it on site or its was sent up from rear areas. It can last for up to two weeks without going bad in cool weather and indefinitely when frozen which it does well. Soldiers called them "white mice" when the mould would finally grow on them, they would simply trim the bread down to the nonspoiled part. Standard issue was the bread bag, the tubed rations, and a good knife to cut the bread. There are several types of bread. Now back to the subject. The bread bag strap had clips on each end similar to those on the US H harness, a spring tension type. The strap is double stitched canvas material. I've got a duffel bag packed with old web gear, I think its there.

Nope, just looked. My son in SC in the USAF has it, (he just called, going on a trip and can't say where or for how long ) uses it for a lunch bag. I did find three Vietnam lightweight rucksacks, my binoculars, and a 9mm I swear I sold. No wonder Ken hadn't paid me for it.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote