View Single Post
Unread 08-31-2003, 11:33 AM   #28
Big Norm
RIP

Maybe its just my very old tired eyes (the rest of me is great), but I don't see chromed parts. I just think that the pictures are not of the quality to make a good judgement.

The "Red Nine" grips are worth more than $75. Heck, original grips alone (without the safety chip gone) go for $100 plus. A nice job of rechechering for $45 would fix them up nicely. But they would then have to go on a nice Artillery Luger to look right. I would consider removing the "Red Nine" grips from the gun and installing less valuable ones. If someone recklessly removed them and broke off the chip around the safety, then they would be considerably less valuable, if not worthless.

Does the gun have a matching magazine? I mean, does the magazine bottom have the same serial number as the gun? I can't tell from the pictures, But does the gun have any pitting on it? Its not uncommon for an old gun to have a very light rusting on the grip straps. That comes from the salty sweat on the hands of the shooter and bad maintenance. What is the bore like?

I still can't make a judgement on the price of your gun. But an artillery luger would have to be bad for it to go for less than $1200. An artillery would have to be a wreck to go for $800 or less. Considering the quality of the photos, I would roughly put your gun in the $1100-1500 range with the existing grips. Without holding it in my hands, that is just an educated guess.

Restoring an artillery does not cost $900. But if you have pitting and a bad bore then I would not consider it. Pitting on the gun makes the restoration less cost effective...depending.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote