Thread: Death Head
View Single Post
Unread 08-11-2002, 09:27 AM   #33
Heydrich
Banned

I’ve lost track of all the faked Model 98 rifles I have seen in the past five years that have been stamped (or even crudely carved) to present them as authentic SS weapons. Over in the K98k forum, the long running pun is that “Bubba made it” in his basement. The most common forgeries are based on reworked G98 and bnz (Steyr-Daimler-Puch) coded K98 rifles. Both these types are historically recorded as being issued to Waffen-SS and concentration camp guard personnel. The SS managed to swindle a large number of reworked G98 rifles, as well as Steyr model slave labor produced K98s. This was to circumvent the OKH authorities. Anyway, these days anyone who has a “standard” bnz coded K98 (especially the years 1942/43) is liable to succumb to the huge temptation to mark it with a death head and SS rune somehow. This will increase its value by five to six times or more. And Mark, I disagree with you that the markings on German rifles can’t be used as a “good example to use for evaluating Lugers”. The authentic death head markings seem to have a clean uniformity of appearance between German pistols and rifles. In particular, the skull is well defined, and for authentic SS marked ones, the lighting bolts are super sharp and straight. Fake death head markings also share the same bogus inconsistencies between pistols and rifles. Lugers do not exist in some kind of special vacuum Mark. Many K98 and G43 collectors, like Robert Jensen and Darrin Weaver, have got to be some of the better evaluators of German collectable firearms. And as far as MarkC’s G98 is concerned, I have never seen a real SS rifle in publications (or otherwise) that was stamped with two death heads like that. But the super straight and clean lighting bolts makes me believe it’s probably authentic. The left side death head also resembles the one in Robert Ball’s book. But it still makes me wonder. If it is a fake, it’s the best one I’ve ever seen.
Heydrich is offline   Reply With Quote