View Single Post
Unread 04-12-2001, 06:26 PM   #5
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Observations and questions

A couple of years ago the Ithaca would have been a $500 pistol, but on todays market it would be closer to $650. Not all the pistols with an arsenal mark are rebuilds. Several years back I had a mid 1943 Colt that was marked RIA (Rock Island Arsenal), FK (Frank Krack, in charge of rebuild) and the flaming ordnance bomb. At this time Colt was serial numbering the slide to the frame, and this pistol was totally correct and original. I bought an old Arms Gazette that had an article on 1911A1's, and in the article was a pistol with markings identical to mine and it was only 9 serial numbers later. About the same time a list of military pistols came out in the SG News, and there was a pistol with the same markings 13 numbers before mine. Apparently a block of Colts had gone through Rock Island while still new, and were stamped with their mark.

Model 1911A1 pistols are no different from Lugers when it comes to original finish. An original pistol of any make will just always be worth more than one that has been reworked.