View Single Post
Unread 01-30-2024, 12:22 PM   #20
Yakman
User

Fred,

Almost anything is possible with commercials made in the 1920s. My first question is why a 9m/m at a time when all new Lugers (DWM) were supposed to be 7.65? Although many Lugers were exported without barrels to have them installed (9m/m) in their destination countries, this gun, if original, and for this writing let's assume it is, has a barrel which is Berlin proofed, evidence it is original to the gun. According to the German proof law, to proof a pistol it has to be complete, assembled, and serial numbered. This Luger seems to meet that requirement. Although it being 9m/m as an alphabet Luger is unusual, it is not unique.

The next thing I'd look at is the Navy rear sight for originality. A few years ago, some aftermarket replicas were produced, and I believe sold by SARCO. Maybe they are still available, I don't know. Some where I've seen written how to tell them from originals, I don't remember where, maybe G&S. I would be surprised if you found the sight not to be original.

I had an alphabet Navy style commercial up until 3 or 4 years ago, "o" suffix range. Mine had an unnumbered Navy marked barrel and what I finally determined to be a repro rear sight. I sold it as a shooter. If I had the one you show I'd still own it.

Does the Luger you show belong to you? If it does, I'd suggest you keep it as the alphabet Navy style commercial it purports to be until someone convinces you otherwise. I don't see that its GERMANY import marked, so maybe it was produced for some domestic purpose.

Simpson Ltd has one similar for sale, also a "k" suffix, you might want to check it out. DWM 1920 NAVY COMMERCIAL - C26327
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Yakman for your post: