View Single Post
Unread 12-30-2023, 05:29 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

I do indeed enjoy your pictures, thank you! They remind me of when I acquired my “Ideal Holster”, in much worse condition than yours. It was complete, but a collection of red rust and mostly brown, cracked, leather (the whole holster resembled the muzzle end of your holster in the right-side view). However, on the plus side it did include the metal backed grips. The down side was that one of the two-part right grip metal pieces had come loose and was separate (I silver soldered it back together), and the walnut grip scales were heavily damaged with chunks missing. I wish I had taken photos of the state in which I received it.

The good news is that it was salvageable. The first thing I did was make a wood “plug” to restore and maintain the shape of the leather part of the holster/stock. Then came the refinishing of the leather and metal and replacing the wood scales. A local master engraver touched up the “PATENTS PENDING” marking and I had some beautiful figured walnut to replace the scales. It turned out pretty good and it looks nice displayed with a 1906 American Eagle. Enjoy my pictures!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Holster.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	87906  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Patent.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	87907