View Single Post
Unread 11-09-2023, 04:43 PM   #4
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Welcome to the Luger Forum!

Great news! Nice choices, too!

I hope you buy all 3 of those lugers and hopefully any story that goes with them!
Even better, he may have the Bring Back papers, which adds interest and provenance.

There are several things to consider with the Lugers, but assuming that all three are complete and correct (except for the mis-matched magazine - which is very common), assuming the grips are not chipped and they are in working order. Each are easily worth $2,000 - $2,500.

#3. The unit marked 1917 would probably be the most interesting to you. It was made in the middle of WW-1 and when DWM was at maximum production. The 1920 is a property stamp, not a date, which just meant that the German government was claiming the weapon. The unit markings will take a little research.

My second choice is 1916 DWM military and thus the most interesting to me.
It's a fairly common years - lots were made for WW-1.

The Commercial luger is a good choice with the matching magazine. They don't normally have a date stamp, but a lot of them were made up from military luger parts after WW-2, so make sure you get the serial number on that one (frame front) with the suffix, if there is one.

Regardless, see if he will allow you to photograph all 3 of them and post them here. We are all very interested in the Lugers, even if you don't choose to own them. Get a good set from each side, top and the front with the serial number and barrel markings.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post: