View Single Post
Unread 08-13-2023, 02:54 AM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

G.T.

I've devised a toaster oven method for strawing. It takes some dialing in initially, but once the proper setting is established, a mark on the temperature dial will take you to right to it next time around. The correct temp seems to be in the low 400s F.

The problem that can arise with using a higher temperature than necessary is that it's possible to over-temp the thin portions in order to get the thicker parts to take on the correct color. I use a small vessel containing sandblasting sand, which is pre-heated for about 45 minutes to get it to the precise temp, after which I immerse the parts in the sand and let 'em "soak" for a half hour or so. You could leave them in the oven overnight and they would still come out the same, no watching, no guesswork.

If you have a powerful enough toaster oven, it's possible to achieve the other colors such as the blue, as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	87241