Thread: 1938 Erfurt?
View Single Post
Unread 03-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #28
Military Engineer
User

Spangy,

I will. I have a 1918 Erfurt I got several years ago in partial trade and I love shooting it, so finding this will be a nice addition.

Of the 10-12 folks that work at the indoor range I go to all the time, I think only 3 or 4 even recognize it for what it is. The senior manager there does and he had to wrap it carefully and put it in the back of the safe because he didn't want the rest of the staffers getting too curious about it.

I remember the first time I shot it (the 1918) at the range. One of the RSOs was just staring at me, so I thought I was doing something wrong. I asked him if I was doing anything wrong, and he said no. He was just looking at the pistol. He also said it was the, and I quote: "...sexiest thing he'd seen on the range that week."

Another time, the 2nd A group I am with did a shoot with a group called the "Young Republicans" here in San Diego. It was called their "ATF" night. Each of us in the 2A group brought the most unique thing we had, and I had the Luger and a Vacquero. Guy came up behind me and pointed to one, so I picked up the Vacquero, and he said he was interested in the other one. I turned around, and the Yiddish accent was attached to a yarmulke. Can't make this stuff up.

I asked him if he was ok with it, for real, given the history of the yarmulke and the Luger, and he didn't miss a beat. He simply replied: "I know what it is. Getting to shoot that thing is my f*** you to them". I loaded up the mags and let him have his fun. Every year we do it, he asks me "if I brought it".

I love these pistols for the reasons you mention and more.
Mark
Military Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Military Engineer for your post: