Thread: Frankenluger!
View Single Post
Unread 09-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I can't see detail of the marking on your gun's barrel well enough to make out if it is an import mark or a British proof mark. I think I see "9mm" in the text... From the info below, it's probably an import mark.

The large "X" stamped behind the serial number digits on the left side of the receiver indicate that this was a WW-II Russian captured pistol. The grainy finish appearance looks like the gun was dip refinished in their rework (but flash photography makes it difficult to judge finish).

The magazine is earlier than the pistol, either a police magazine or something from the 1930's... The base may provide some clues.

The replacement parts were likely installed as part of their rework, but anything was possible.

The left grip has been hand re-checkered, and it's uneven. That points to someone having their hand at it at home, not a professional armory. It's also got the million dollar chip - evidence that someone that was unfamiliar with Lugers took them off the frame at some point.

You have a good shooter built from a Mauser pistol. Enjoy!

You may find our forum FAQ document useful. Download it from the FAQ link at the top of every forum page.

Welcome to the forum, Marc
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: