View Single Post
Unread 05-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Yakman
User

Default Interesting Post WW1 Commercial

Simpson Ltd has what they refer to simply as a 1923 Commercial, Cat# D-321, C40379. The five digit serial number is very high, 95386.

Pretty good photos of this Luger are on Simpson's site. Just bring up his site and search either number I mentioned above.

What makes this gun interesting to me, other than it's serial number, are characteristics that seem to have gone unnoticed.

First off it is a long frame, the trigger bar is not relieved, it has no grip safety, and the barrel has been replaced.

Unless I'm wrong, the only long frame Luger with a stock lug and no grip safety is a 1908 Navy

For me the mystery is why such an early featured pistol would be assembled so late, according to its serial number, if its serial number is actually an extension of the normal DWM five digit commercial serial range. Or maybe the pistol was assembled from parts by somebody other than DWM.

From best I can tell from the photos the number font seems be the same all around the gun. The serial number on the left flat of the barrel extension appears to me to have been hand stamped. The barrel is proofed but unnumbered, as a replacement probably would be. Normally the barrel and extension, as a unit, would be numbered under the barrel. For this unnumbered replacement it makes sense to me that the Luger might be numbered as it is on the left side of the extension. Much easier than hand stamping the barrel.

The description says the barrel is four inches, I doubt that. Being 30 Luger, post war, I'd think it more likely to be 98m/m. I'd also like to know if the flange at the base is thinner than the usual, from being machined to fit the longer extension than that of a normal 1920/23 Commercial.

The rear sight is a notch but could be anything by replacing the rear toggle. It does, however, to me, appear to have been numbered at the same time with the same stamp as other part numbers.

I believe that this Luger, in its present configuration, was assembled to be what it is. I just have no opinion as to why. I also believe that the base used for this gun was rejected 1908 Navy frame and slide, put to commercial use. To see if the toggle axle pin has a wide flange would help in this.

Unless more information comes to light, although very nice, I don't see this as much more than a pricey curiosity, a nice conversation piece.

I'd like the opinions of others, whether pro or con, on this gun and what my thoughts are on it.

Jack
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Yakman for your post: