Unread 04-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default CMP 1911's

So the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) received 8,000 1911's last year, and they went through a ton of hoops to do so
** built a huge vault / room
** had to get an FFL license (for rifles, no FFL was required by them, as they are chartered by congress)
** set up completely different operations
** two background checks required (people got all upset by this, and an FFL 03 was not allowed, I thought, big deal)

They received 19,000 applications - this after tons of information released (some true, some not) on how to get one. Many folks have said that the guns would be crap, would be mismatched junk, over-priced - that they were far to expensive. It was expected they'd still get 60-75,000 applications, however, they received 19,000 for less than 8,000 guns.

I like 1911's, as I carried one in the army for about 3/4 of my career - so I put my name in and luckily received random generated number 3953 - was notified two weeks ago that I was too pay and it would be sent to me within 90 days (they say that to keep folks from getting mad if it takes a while, I noticed its usually a few days to 2 weeks).
Cost were for two types - Service grade ($1050) and Field grade ($950) - when they called, whichever or both were available, when I was called, only service grade was offered and naturally I took it (had set aside spending money for several months )
Within the costs, you received a nice solid case to hold it, Technical manual, military bore brush and shipping was included.

It came in Friday and I picked it up from a local FFL on Saturday. I was expecting anything from a total mixmaster (mixed slide and frame), to a 'new' 1980s 'hardslide' which I did not really want to get, but it would have been fine. What I really wanted was a Rem Rand - and I received - purely by luck, a nice rebuilt Remington Rand, at one time it was rebuilt by Springfield and another unmarked rebuild before storage -

So, received a nice Remington Rand upper and lower from early 1944. Even a almost new looking HS (high standard) barrel...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6035.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	76432  

Name:	IMG_6036.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	76433