View Single Post
Unread 03-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Again, as said above - comparing the ones you compare, they are totally different -

I HAVE found that import marked guns seem to have taken on an almost accepted status compared to say 10 yrs ago. I think its because of the Sturgess collection that came in with hundreds (many hundreds) of import marked lugers and literally over a thousand guns, and the import marking by Simpson was small on the butt of the gun (now moved to near the trigger-guard).

To most collectors, an import marking, mismatched (not counting mag, that is considered expected) or even a professional refinished gun are deal killers. They just are.
I have owned all of the above, but given a choice in the below, I would still take a 80% gun compared to any of the below.

Refinished - its lost its history, would take a 80% matching (not mag)
Mismatched - depends on what is mismatched, firing pin or grips would not put it into a 'shooter category to me
- but lets say the takedown or sideplate is mismatched, I would take a 80% gun over it.
Import marked gun - I would take an 80% over it

HOWEVER, as said above, for a rare model, I would take any of the above, but consider it a placeholder until I got a better one.
PS: I have bought several mismatched guns, hoping to find a part (sideplate or takedown lever) - it is very hard to do, you'd think it isn't, but it is.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post: