View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
Firebugs
User

Thanks for the replies! That's kind of what I figured and that's why I asked it as a hypothetical with two theoretically identical pistols to try to isolate the issues. I can see how the dollar values would differ from person to person substantially. I've seen how gets to be very tricky with some pistols and having several different things between them. In particular I was trying to weigh out an import marked all-matching (including magazine) G-date pistol @ ~80% vs. something like what I ended up bidding on. 1936-1938 w/mismatched magazine in better overall shape.

I can understand why the magazine not matching is less of a problem for people than other small parts. Their function is fairly universal and I would almost go so far to say that numbering them was on the OCD side. It seems fairly common across the board with Lugers, P38s, K43's... to have a mismatched magazine. I look at it similarly to how you very often find K98's that have had complete bolts swapped by armorers (rifle matching except bolt, bolt matches itself). It happens and seems to have been fairly common practice. Obviously they won't command the same price, but in my eyes they are just as 'original'.

The bore on the one I bought... I don't think will get any better honestly. I know the seller mentioned it in the ad that it might clean up, but from what I've seen in other older firearms, it probably got put away for a long time after shooting corrosive ammo and developed some pitting/rust. For older guns bore condition is less of an issue for me, though I do avoid sewer pipes. I intend to occasionally shoot this one so I didn't want anything too nice! I'm finishing college this spring so I definitely intend to expand the collection in the coming years. I especially like the long barrel Navy & artillery lugers, and obviously need a Swiss pistol or two to go with the K31 (they really took good care of their stuff) and Wild rangefinder. The justifications never end
Firebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Firebugs for your post: