View Single Post
Unread 01-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #204
Rick W.
User

I was wondering about G.T.'s 45 and how it was...........

Hard to image a project in these days and times, but here it is........most amazing to this casual reserver sitting on the sidelines. Looked long and hard, but just not enough time on my part.

I often wondered why the pseudo-custom pistols all have strong springs, recoil and magazine. The Coonan and the old Automag come to mind, as does the late model PPK's. Automag magazines are hard to load with very many, those that are manly enough to load them full soon find out about strength of materials, when the mag comes apart at the bottom. I reckon there must be something to the strength of springs as to finding basic function more easily???? I don't know myself.

I am of the opinion that factory ammo is getting shorter, especially in 9mmx19. SAAMI min is 745, have to look a lot to find that in spent brass.

I know that many do not reload, just their thing; but they often search for the "right" ammo in crates from around the world. Some is just super hot friends tell me, so guess there are perils in buying loaded ammo whether new or handloaded at the shows. When I qualify, it is mandated factory ammo; last two times I had primer failures in my high dollar box; just the way it went.

Handloading has its perils as well. The buck stops closer to home sorta speak. I believe that choosing a slower powder, longer OAl, as well as bullet shape, can help. Not for everyone I realize, but the option is still there if one wishes to try the waters.

Ammo characterizations are a funny thing. Cheap, if the right word, is used throughout the world for confilicts. Lots of steel cased, steel cored, steel all around stuff in their weapons. I am not sure if they are too concerned about leaving the weapon to their grandchildren though. Steel cases in chambers is rough stuff in my opinion. I suspect that someone will try steel ammo in their new 45acp, hopefully not a lot though............wonder if folks feel their weapon firing, how does it recoil, sharp or soft or medium..........the tape test referenced in these archieves comes to mind, whatever the ammo type or source.

As we all know, the primary function of firearms is supported on many fronts, all figure into the final result or function.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: