View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #29
Rick W.
User

In my particular environment, I was using a press from one vendor and dies from another vendor. Use what you have, it don't matter right? A press is a press, a die is a die right?

Not for a long, long time. But.........lately it did with different components. My original buy of 115 fmj Winchester bullets did me good for most of my shooting lifetime.

I fussed with the belling, overthought it, beat on it, whined with it etc; finally I feel in my own opinion that these plated bullets need more of a lead bullet type bell than a fmj type bullet bell. I am now at ease with that.

The seater that I have used for years in this setup with the 9mm, never screwed down to what some would call the proper vertical setup; was physically limited by the press top thickness and the die threading/nut.

Seating dies do their best to align bullets for entry into the brass case. My die was not fully in place; not completely seated correctly in the area of the bottom of seater die to ram surface. So I was not completely taking advantage of all of its alignment advantages.

So I am somewhat familiar with threading of parts and chasing of existing threading. The die threads are 7/8-14 fwiw to those that care. Chasing of existing threads is not too tough, so the cheapo die as I call it(just a name, nothing implied about real quality) now inserts where it should. I am now just off touching the roll crimp, which has more support during seating that before; not a lot; I know exactly how much, but won't bore the masses with that number. Once seated the cartridge is moved to a taper crimp die that does a modest capture of the bullet.

So just looking at the setup, did not infer the problem. I had to read and read about new concepts in seating dies, and trying apply those ideas to my seater die. Then it finally dawned...........the plated bullets in my loading situation needs all the edge that I can get in alignment assists. I loaded several hundred yesterday and today with all finished cartridges gaging properly.

So now it on to the square deal to figure out why the same alignment issues are occurring. Don't worry I won'[t post about that adventure here............

The plated bullets are what they are, less expensive; and are currently allowed on indoor ranges. Everything has nuances and limitations; some of those take time to figure out. Instant gratification syndrome never entered here, did not have anything hired done; or new purchases............although came close this time.

I have relearned my lesson again about posting here about detailed considerations; I will try to be more restrained in the future.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: