View Single Post
Unread 10-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
Robert in NC
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I would not spend $2.5k on my first luger.

I would buy a $1000 shooter, in good condition of the era you are interested in. If that is not enough, you still have $1500 that will buy you a collectible, but lower end WWI or WWII luger.

The key here is be patient and you will find a great luger at a good price. Perhaps even here in the for sale section.

Welcome and show us what you are looking at before you decide!
I'm NOT (NOT!) an experienced Luger collector, but I think Don has great advice. This is the path I chose on my own. The more I read, the more I realized I don't know.

I went with a $1000 1920s commercial shooter to start, and not from an auction, from Simpsons LTD. I know I didn't get a bargain, and I don't think I got ripped off either, but I was confident that what I got would be as they described it, and I was willing to spend a bit more to have that confidence.

Now I'm looking at starting to get 1914-1918 DWMs, but I'm in no immense hurry, and will be reading even more and looking at a lot of guns before spending any money.

And personally, when buying Lugers, as in dealing with Mauser rifles of which I am more familiar, I will dismiss immediately any item where the description says "RARE!".
Robert in NC is offline   Reply With Quote