View Single Post
Unread 06-20-2002, 12:37 PM   #9
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,619 Times in 528 Posts
A few years back when Century Arms imported the Finnish Lugers, I managed to get one being sold as a "U-Fix-Em". It came minus the magazine and firing pin. Otherwise, it was complete and all major parts matched serially. It had well-worn wood grips and was missing the unit disc. The top of the front sight had been filed down a few thousands of an inch.

The finish was a dull blue, almost like a parkerized finish. It was in 7.65mm, short barrel and the serial number was four numbers and a suffix letter that fell in the proper block of pistols sold to Finland in the mid-1920's. The "SA" in a square frame was stamped on the left forward receiver side. The bore was excellent. It was very accurate and completely reliable.

There was one odd thing about it that I believe was done to improve cold weather reliability. The breech block had a small hole drilled from the bottom into the firing pin chamber. If the original firing pin was of the old type (unfluted), the forward movement of the pin may have been retarted slightly by the air being pushed out of the firing pin hole. Any lubricant on the firing pin would tend to seal the air in even more and the bottom hole was, in my opinion, to allow air to escape and speed the fall of the firing pin. I may be wrong in my assumption and I'd like to hear other opinions about the purpose of the extra hole.

I sold the pistol to a gentleman associated with the "Cruffler's" board and he may still have it.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote