Thread: Stoeger Luger
View Single Post
Unread 07-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
Kyrie
User

Ithacaartist,

Thank you for your reply, and love the additional information.

I had been pursuing a LUR or many years before finally coming across one for sale (though it was in deplorable condition). It was, IMO, an improvement in quality over the LA 22 due to being made from more durable materials (small parts a nice quality of steel and the frame of what appeared to be aluminum). These were the same materials used by Emilio Alonoso in some of his other (admittedly low price point) handguns such at the “Fast” (also sold under a number of different model designations):

The KGP 68A likely dates to the late 1980s, or at least that is implied by the 1987 Munich proof house stamp:

I cannot speak to the construction of all KGP 68A pistols, but can say the one pictured was made from steel. I base this on observed attraction between its frame and the powerful magnet I kept on my bench to help find firearm small parts that had made a break for it and hidden themselves in hard to reach places. I had assumed the frame to be aluminum (it didn’t feel like the pot metal used in the LA 22) and was surprised when I set it down on my bench and the magnet gloomed onto it.

While I pursued the LUR, and bought the KGP 68A on a whim, I ended up with the LA 22 pretty much against my wishes. I got it in a complicated three way trade only because I had to take it to get another pistol that I needed to make the complicated trade work. I found I literally couldn’t give it away and it sat above my bench, swinging on a nail, for some years before I finally threw it away. While I had high regard for the 68A, my feeling toward the La22 was it was a sorry example of the gun makers’ art.

Best,

Kyrie
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote