View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
9x19
User

Hi Guys,

The 1911 model was very much based on my experiences of owning a Colt Mk IV Series 70 and what I would have liked as my ideal gun - a Colt Combat Commander with a compensator to bring the barrel length up to the full 5" standard length was my idea.

My own gun (the real one) was heavily customised: satin chrome (frame) and liquid ink blue slide. The sight rail was bead blasted before bluing and it was fitted with BoMar BMCS adjustable combat sites. The feed ramp was smoothed and polished and the ejection port lowered. The trigger was an adjustable target version with the release pressure set at 3.5lbs. It had a ring hammer and beaver tail grip with a flat mainspring housing. The magazine well was also funnelled and each mag fitted with protective bumpers.

Most of these features were incorporated into the model, but I did opt for non-adjustable sights and gas porting of the barrel and slide. That would mean the recoil spring could be lightened a bit whilst making the lock time slightly faster. If I was in the States, and not in the UK, I might have had both versions made.

I use Autodesk's Inventor Pro for all my modelling and the files that are outputted to the internet are usually IGS, STP or Parasolid. None of these formats contain a history tree and therefore modification can be difficult (if not impossible without re-creation), especially when it comes to some parts that have coincident fillets.

Without a history tree you cannot see how the model was constructed, in what order, and you cannot move backwards and forwards within it to modify the parts. All modifications have to be additional of subtractive.

One other things about this model is that the chequering on the grips and frame will not appear in an outputted model as these were solely applied within the "Keyshot" photo realistic rendered that I use.

I have no experience with "Blender" so I am afraid you will have to check what file formats you can accept.

Sergio, thanks for your interest, it is unfortunate that my efforts came to nought. If the information ever becomes available I WILL create a P04. For the moment I am moving onto pastures new.

Finally, I have included one more image of the 1911 that is easier to see the finished article without the see through look.

Regards all,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gun1_edit.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	67053  

9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 9x19 for your post: