View Single Post
Unread 06-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #41
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The floors of these machine shops were often formed with a surface of maple wood blocks placed vertically (with the grain running up and down) on top of a reinforced concrete base.

I worked for several years at IBM's factory site in Poughkeepsie, and the floors were built this way. They are remarkably stable.

I don't think that I've ever seen an article about Luger factory manufacturing engineering or machining similar to the Colt M1911 article. I believe that there is documentation of the process steps and labor costs. The new book on Mauser by Gerben (Vlim) and Mauro contains some of this material, but it's not for Lugers.

BTW, my grandfather was a Swedish machinist working around 1900 to 1950 in Chicago. He made industrial sewing machines for a company called "Union Special". We had a small machine shop in the basement where I grew up, so some of this is definitely in my genetic makeup...

He was rather clever in spacial conceptualization, and made a number of special tools that helped him improve the speed and quality of his production. As a result, he worked continuously through the American depression in the 1930's. The machines were still in demand, and he was simply better at producing them than his co-workers...

This is one of my favorite photographs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OscarMachinistAtWork2_resize.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	66800  

The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: