Unread 06-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #17
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Morphy Auctions is interesting today. A reblued 42 sold $5500, and there is 15% on top of that. Who's bidding on that.. but on price level, that's nothing comparing with a brand of small knife called "Bowie Knife".

Heard of "Bowie Knife"? I know nothing about it... probably rare,. Just being rare does not mean it worth much, but obviously there are many people collecting those and they competed with each other. Many those small knives sold $30K, $40K, $50K, $90K etc today. If not seeing those sale myself, I had thought those knives just being rare junk... you never know.
"Bowie knife" is basically a generic term for what one might call a "gentleman's fighting knife." The concept is based upon the legend that James (Jim) Bowie, who died in the battle of the Alamo, owned and used one. Although commonly interpreted as having had a large blade of 10" or more, with a clip point, the original is lost to posterity, and the specific blade architecture of the original "Bowie knife" will never be known.