Thread: Breechblock pin
View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #14
Rick W.
User

Sounds like Mrerick has been thru some of this stuff. I generally like some slack in some things, but not really in a Luger toggle train. Slack has a lot of different contexts......

In the first picture of the broke pin, there seems to be an area of wear or setback(cannot feel from here) that the crack might have originated from. Just a guess on my part.

One would think that the areas would show up near the interfaces of the two parts, the rest of the pin proper is supported in a way, unless way worn or whatever reduced in dimension.

I suspect that John S.'s blueprints would give the dimensions of said pin and adjoining parts. That is where I would go for starting dimensions or the Dutch Luger book appendix. In my Luger, the enlarging of the respective holes is probably less than 10%, as pointed out earlier in another post, if the holes are a lot larger on one side etc, then perhaps replacement parts should be considered.

I would suspect that the steels have improved over the years, but still are machined up somewhat soft in a lot of cases then hardened with a furnace. Seems like there was some verbage on such in a posting here on this forum a while back, perhaps in a Navy sense, someone wanting to sell reproduction pins, but not sure the secret information on pin makup was given or not........... we have a search engine on this forum if so interested.

These parts a getting long in the tooth sorta speak, some around seem to be a bit used, sometimes not..........pays your money and takes your chances...........chance is hard to take in breeching criteria.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote