View Single Post
Unread 02-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default drum performance!

Hi to all! Don and I very seldom do things differently, but Don description of operation is an excellent method and achieves the same result when done correctly! As I'm dealing with a full revision for sale to the consumer, I revise the drums and the loader, to work as designed and they will, with some effort, load past the hold open tear drop, although, Don is most correct in that it does take more effort, and probably does put additional strain on the follower button... You will have to decide which way is best for you!
The loader is modified as well, the "magazine catch" is cut back internally to allow approximately .020" deeper engagement into the magazine catch notch... Also the took is "squished approx. .010" to better allow a tight fit to the magazine tube, and so the follower button and loader to work as designed and described above?
Don is also correct in that the red grease is messy and will probably be better replaced with the dry lube described, but this again is another owner operator choice as I found all the original Drums I repaired were filled with old dry caked on axil bearing grease, and I'm sure it was a necessary item for full and as dependable operation as possible,, Grease had some flow characteristics that dry lube hasn't? But, will kill the primers on commercial ammo! The springs are tough and will only take a set so far, but as Don mentioned, it probably is better stored relaxed, I set them at the max strength so maybe a little "set" ain't so bad anyway?..So by all means experiment...and, let us know good or bad! Don and I know one thing for sure, the drums can be made to work correctly! Lube, procedure, ammo and the Luger you are using all have a bearing on your overall success... Like Don has said before, once you run 32 rounds thru in an unbroken string, you will be all smiles! Puts you right back to 1918! maybe even a little mud will be required! ... best to all, til...lat'r.....GT BTW, the GT stamp on the drum is a bit faint on the drums sometimes... the die is large with a lot of surface area, and the metal a little springy so even with a bucking bar, the dies mark is a one shot deal... Just like real ones!!! (no, there are no GT marks on those!)
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post: