View Single Post
Unread 09-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #18
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Don,

Although I am not fluent in the German language, I was obliged to study the language for about 4 years way back in the middle of the last century....the German word "sicher" does as you indicate mean "safe" (or "secure") The use of the prefix Ge- as in Gesichert, indicates the past tense in a similar manner that the suffix -ed does in English....Therefore the appropriate translation of the word in German context would be "secured" or made safe. In a similar manner, the use of the "Geladen" on the extractor is translated as "loaded".

The use of the word "SAFE" on the guns intended for export to the USA, is intended to mimic those guns made in the USA where the word SAFE was used. Not many firearms made in this country were manufactured with loaded chamber indicators, so the Germans really didn't know what to mimic. They literally translated "Geladen" into the word "Loaded"...

I can't point you to a reference for this speculation, but my rusty (not trusty) German language skills combined with my small arms history knowledge and experience are the basis for my opinion.

So in the context of German language, the 'Gesichert" label in use for the Luger safety would be translated as "secured" (or "safe") in the American context.

Now if that didn't totally confuse you... I will try harder to raise the level of obfuscation on the issue in my next installment.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post: