Thread: Today's find
View Single Post
Unread 07-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
dnickels
User

Default Today's find

I'm a bit more familiar with Walther P-38 pistols than Lugers, but I did pick up my second P08 today.

I really know NOTHING about it except it is a commercial model of some sort. It's all parts matching (mag not serialized) with all of the main parts being 5197 or 97. There really are no other marks to speak of except a small crown and N on the side of the toggle and the DWM emblem on top. The metal is not bad with just the top toggle being poor although the side plate is a little rough. There is zero original finish left except on the front toggle. The outside is just a greasy gray like an old lead pipe. The unfinished inside is not rusty but is dirty. The grips seem to be original Luger grips but the left and right side do not match in pattern. Both are very old but have no markings inside. Bore is nice just dirty. The barrel is slightly unscrewed a couple of degrees. There are no import marks, no "Germany" etc. either.

Unless this is a really valuable specimine, I really am considering rust bluing and straw bluing it back to its original glory. I have purchased some new grips, grip screws and a new DWM top toggle. It wasn't overly expensive and I figure it will make a nice display piece and occasional shooter.

These things are addictive too!
dnickels is offline   Reply With Quote