View Single Post
Unread 06-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #28
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

More little stuff, milling the muzzle cap and the rear sight.

(15) Milling the ramp on the rear of the muzzle cap/band.
(16) Milling the 'slope' on the front sight blade.
(17) Milling the 'Patridge style' notch on the 1896 Swedish Mauser carbine rear sight leaf, folded section.
(18) Milling the 'Patridge style' notch on the slider.

Next on the list is to cut the extractor notch and the feed ramp.

But first, I'm itching to start on the forearm.

(19) Here I took time to make a much-desired modification to my receiver wrench - an extra locking lug recess in the handle. It came with the recess in the cap, but I level my Luger barrels using the front sight, so having the handle sticking straight up is awkward. Now I have 180º capability.
(20) Here's my piece of Walnut. My neighbor told me it is 'Black Walnut' and that is why it turns so dark with BLO. I dunno, I'm not a wood person...
(21) Here I've milled out the main channel for the barrel and rear sight base.
(22) I'm using a Woodruff key cutter to mill the slots for the frame rails. The barrel with forearm attached with recoil ~.3/8" over the frame. Right now, it all fits; I just have to lengthen the slots a bit.

I am finding it difficult to visualize the forearm in action and transfer the minds-eye image to the forearm. I had thought I would taper the barrel channel to match the barrel but the math was really confusing me. The masking tape in #21 shows what the OD should be at those points..

Last edited by sheepherder; 07-04-2016 at 09:10 PM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: