View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2002, 06:47 AM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
For almost 24 years now I have been tracking serial numbers of the US Test Lugers. I have presented a list of the serial numbers in AUTOMAG, the newsletter of the Automatic Pistol Collectors Association (NAPCA). Since my last list, I have acquired Scott Meadows book and received serial numbers from several individuals. As a result, I currently have recorded 265 serial numbers of reported or observed 1900 US Test Lugers. This includes 234 Lugers in the "accepted" range of approximately 6100 to 7100, four "below the range" serial numbers, and 27 "above the range". The lowest serial number is 6068 (Scott Meadows reports 6009, but that is so far out of range that I reserve judgment until further information is available). The highest number reported is 7823. All of these weapons have, as Johnny Peppers has noted, "the proper characteristics of the Test Lugers; namely no GERMANY stamp, no proofs, and the takedown lever numbered on the round right end", except that around serial number 7138 the last two digits of the serial number appears on the flat of the left side of the takedown lever.

This extended range of serial numbers might suggest that the 1000 US Test Luger serial number range may not be contiguous and that the accepted range of 6100 to 7100 might need to be reviewed.

I have no idea where the remainder of the 781 Lugers sold to Bannerman have gone, all I know is the serial numbers that have been reported.

By the way, look at the small part serial numbers on the Luger that started this thread. They are numbered "87". The numbers have been transposed in the description of the Luger. The serial number probably is actually 6587 rather than 6857.