View Single Post
Unread 04-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #54
GerColctor
User

Jeff
As mentioned above by Jerry, mismatched Lugers tend to break after being fired a number of times. No exact amount of ammo that passes thru this parts pistols can be determined as to when it might happen.
Lugers were hand fitting guns and they were made to close tolerances. The primary reason for the number parts was to help in the reassembly whenever it was disassembled around other Lugers, in order to assure only the same pieces are installed.

I acquired my first Luger as a young man and was very similar to yours, a grip safety commercial frame and a non military DWM marked upper slide and toggle. Most of the small parts did not match either the top or bottom, but what did I know, except it was "genuine" Luger.

After firing this gun quite a few times, suddenly the middle toggle cracked. The pieces of the original toggle were not matched to each other. Not a big deal as I able to soon get a replacement toggle train that was matching, thinking that eliminated the problem, except it happened again. There apparently was too much pressure on the toggle when it folds back as this gun is fired. The train parts might be matched, but it wasn't to the upper receiver.

Like you, from the day I got this gun I loved the look and feel and wanted more of them. It took about 25 years before I was in a position to buy my second one, a completely matching military.

Best of luck with your toy, as also mentioned, take care of it.