View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts
Default Another Interlude

I'm still contemplating on how to form my forearm, so in the meantime I decided to clean up my workbench of projects that have languished over the last couple of years...

The first pic is an 80% M1911 with a Bo-Mar Tuner Rib attached. The slide is a Numrich item while the 'parts kit' came from Sarco. There's a couple aftermarket and OEM Colt parts thrown in for good measure. Haven't shot it yet; no 45 target ammunition available.

Second pic is three Luger-style barrels. The top is an original Luger M1900 7.65mm barrel which was purchased from a forum member and was found to be 'squished' .020" in the middle, probably from being incorrectly [wrong or no tools] removed. I was able to obtain a ground drill blank in the correct size and slowly form it back to round shape with a planishing hammer. That left some marks, along with the 100+ year old nicks & scratches, so I used Ithacaartist's method of filing it on a lathe, insread of my usual single-point cutting. It worked out surprisingly well.

Bottom barrel of the second pic is a 1916 Bohler barrel included for comparison purposes. It's my 'control' barrel.

The middle barrel is a 3" 9mm Green River blank which I tried to profile to 'pocket Luger' shape. I couldn't find anyone who would measure their 'pocket Luger' barrel (which I am told was made from a shortened & silver-soldered Navy barrel) so I tried to take the measurements off a picture or two from PIA, Simpsons, and this forum of the original 'pocket Lugers' (not to be confused with Georg Lugers 'baby Luger"). I'm happy with the machine operations but somewhat disappointed with the actual profile. It looks awfully stubby. I understand that most later 'pocket Lugers' are made from shortened P08 barrels, but was the Navy barrel really so thick???

Posts here state that the Luger 'Fat Barrel' and 'Cartridge Counter' Lugers had the same dimensioned barrels used to make the shortened 'pocket Lugers', so that is what I used for my dimensions. Vernier calipers on a photograph; not the easiest (or best) way to get dimensions.

Eventually, I'll finish up cutting the sight dovetail and the muzzle, and install it on a barrel extension for looks. It's already indexed and chambered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribbed45.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	55660  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3_barrels_2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	55694  

Last edited by sheepherder; 02-25-2016 at 09:56 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote