Thread: P-08 dealers
View Single Post
Unread 12-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The Swiss guns have been dropping in value recently, probably because their supply exceeds demand in the USA.

Start out by getting the PDF DVD of Sturgess' book "The Borschardt And Luger Automatic Pistols" from Simpson's Ltd. It's a very good buy, and is the most comprehensive study of a firearm I've ever seen.

This detailed reference material may be more than you can initially deal with, so also consider one of the older overviews like John Walter's "The Luger Story". These are out of print now, but can be obtained used from a variety of online sources.

You need to determine what timeframe you're most interested in. WW-I, WW-II, Weimar Germany, Swiss, Commercial Police, etc... In my case, I started with an interest in WW-II Lugers from Mauser. These were 9mm guns, and reasonably available, well within your price range.

Determine if you want to shoot it or collect it. I generally don't shoot collectible guns because breaking a numbered part greatly reduces their value.

Read a lot before you buy anything.

Simpson's Ltd. is a reputable dealer. I know and respect Bob Simpson.

Checkpointcharlies.com also has a good reputation.

Retail prices are generally about 30% higher than direct collector to collector deals, covering the cost of overhead and inventory.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post: