View Single Post
Unread 12-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #12
m1903a3
User

Hi Norm

I was so excited and then disappointed by the pistol I really didn't pay that much attention to anything else. My assumption when I purchased it was that someone had enlarged a CDV or other studio photo and assembled a set to resemble the items in the photo and fabricated a matching story. I'm pretty sure the belt and buckle are correct, but I never looked close enough to see if the buckle had its tab, or if any of the leather had makers marks and/or dates. I did compare the knife to photos in a German book of bayonets and sidearms, as well as searching every German website I could find on WWI edged weapons. It certainly seems to be an authentic Kampfmesser, however the only ones I can find are not associated with the Navy. I also enquired with several European collectors, none of whom are aware of such a knife with Navy acceptance.
Given the ease to find information on the Navy edged weapons we see in all the photos, and the lack of photos or information on a Navy knife like this, I agree with you the one in the photo is most likely a studio prop and the knife in the PIA sale was boosted when the rig was assembled.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
m1903a3 is offline   Reply With Quote