Unread 11-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts
Default Second Interlude

First pic -

While pawing through my tool collection I noticed I had a 1 1/2" carbide tipped dovetail cutter left over from some obscure one-time project...So I decided to have another go at dishing the toggle knobs...

The toggle chosen is one left over from some other project <sigh>. I clamped my 'fixture' in my mill vise and 'bored' the toggle dishes. Time consuming and fairly apprehensive, as I had visions of carbide inserts flying around the shop...

But it turned out OK, machining-wise. Still the wrong diameter, and leaving enough metal for the rail contact surface didn't allow much to be machined off, but at least the concept is proven.

I guess that the bear and I are about even on this one.

Second pic -

I was contacted by a forum member who was interested in a 'dished' toggle, so I ordered a carbide shell end mill cutter plus arbor. It should be in shortly.

The 2 1/2" Carbide fluted shell end mill came in; I finished my 'prototype' P08 dished toggle...

Very slow milling; 10º angle from horizontal; plunge milled. I retained the ~.156" contact patch for the frame ramp. The arc of the scallop is not as great as an M1900 due to the M1900 being .150" wider in the knob area.

Came out OK; there were a few tool marks but sanding with 220 wet-or-dry wrapped around a suitable mandrel took them out pretty quick.

Visually not as impressive as the wider M1900 toggle, but it's different...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dish_1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	53970  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dish-2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	54553  

Last edited by sheepherder; 02-25-2016 at 10:14 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: