View Single Post
Unread 11-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
Penzzz
User

Default 7.65 Ammo - Same Name; Different Performance

My DWM 1920 7.65 Luger was brought home from Germany by my Father's Uncle sometime after WWI. This matching numbers pistol was in my Father's possession (in a drawer, wrapped in a towel) unknown to any of us, for perhaps fifty years. How and when he obtained the pistol is a mystery. Around fifteen years ago my Mother gave the gun to me. To my knowledge the pistol hasn't been fired since coming to the States.

Recently, I got the urge to shoot the pistol for the first time and purchased a box of Fiocchi ammo at a gun show (tan box - 7,65 designation). After a thorough cleaning and some lubrication I hit the range and loaded five rounds into the magazine. The gun cycled perfectly and shot accurately. In total I put twenty five rounds through it with no ejection or feed problems. Buoyed by this experience I ordered six boxes of ammo from a reliable source (same ammo as I had was pictured on their site). The ammo I received wasn't in the tan box, instead it was in a black/gray striped box. The ammo itself looked nearly identical so I wasn't worried.

That is, until I went to the range and tried the new ammo. First I ran five of my original rounds through with no problems. Next I tried the newly purchased ammo and it failed to feed every time after a round was discharged. I tried an original round ahead of a new round and the new round fed fine. It appeared that the original round provided enough energy to cycle the gun. Then I tried a new round ahead of an original round and had another feed failure. In my very limited experience with Lugers I am concluding the newly purchased ammo doesn't provide enough energy to cycle the gun properly. Performed these tests a couple more times with the same results. Pistol/magazine seem fine, new ammo doesn't.

So I'm looking for some feedback on Fiocchi 7.65 ammo made/sold in different boxes, made in different manufacturing sites/countries, etc.. Some hotter than others? Based on my experiences today I may be sitting on quite a few Fiocchi single shot rounds.
Penzzz is offline   Reply With Quote